The Worm for Entrepreneurs
Step 1: Finding a designer
Finding a designer is the first step to making your idea a reality. Designers can create a 3D model of your product and advise you on where to go next. Luckily, The Worm is well suited to find a designer for you!
- First, select that you'd like to find design services by selecting the design service in our production filters panel.
- Any company with a green check mark next to a service, and that service currently available. A red 'X' means the service is offered, but is currently unavailable.
An example of each is shown below.
- To see a user's profile, click "View Showroom", or to contact this user, click "Message" (must be logged in to use this feature)
Step 2: Choose a production material
The material that your product is made of will influence the design and cost of production. To name a few, you could choose from:
Your designer will be able to take this into account to better advise you with future decisions.
Step 3: Determine your order size
Depending on your order size, some production methods will be more cost-effective than others. Here is what we recommend.
- 3D printing
- REN making
- Model making
- Prototype molds
- Steel molds
- Production toolings
Step 4: Find a producer
Depending on your project, you will need certain types of producers.
- Fabrication shops (to machine small parts)
- Mold shops (to make molds for material injection)
- Plastics Injection Factories (to actually form the plastics into your idea)
- Printer labs (to 3D print objects)
Step 5: Choose a producer
Step 6: Send a Request for a Quote
A request for a quote, more commonly called: an RFQ, is something that you send to multiple producers to see when they could do the job, and for how much. An RFQ can be sent through the Jobs page.
Step 7: Accept and RFQ
Accepting an RFQ will automatically turn it into an active job, you can manage your active jobs from the Jobs page.